Tuesday, May 17, 2005

All Life is Art Direction......


This simple phrase was uttered by one of my good friends yesterday, as we discussed day-to-day issues in our respective lives. He has a knack for coming up with great phrases that sum up insightful thoughts.

I was struck by his latest quip this morning, as I read an article entitled, The Power of Design, from the June '05 issue of Fast Company (via elearningpost).

From the article: "Look around you: The evidence of design's power is everywhere."

Apparently, the whole June issue is on "design," but only this article and a few others are available online w/o a subscription for now (archives are publicly viewable - so, next month the entire June issue should be up on the web).

I haven't fully digested all of this, but it did spark thoughts related to what author Dan Pink has been putting forth. He's just published a new book, A Whole New Mind. While I may not completely agree with everything Mr. Pink expresses (I think some of his statements such as "the MFA is the new MBA" are a bit overstated), he does make several excellent points (e.g., see Revenge of the Right Brain from Wired) that resonate with me. There is no doubt in my mind that design, art, creativity, empathy, and people skills will increasingly become key factors in long-term success.

BTW, Dan Pink's thesis about MBA's vs. MFA's was recognized as one of the top 20 breakthrough ideas for 2004 by Harvard Business Review. You can listen to a recent (and short) audio clip of Dan Pink on this subject at Marketplace Radio.