Sunday, July 10, 2005

Infinite Games


I've been a regular reader of Jay Cross' Internet Time Blog for a number of months now, and he continues to lead me to interesting ideas, people, and resources (further info on Jay Cross). I wanted to share two people/resources from a recent post on "Infinite Games" that intrigued me quite a bit.

Jay writes about Bill Veltrop, who's the founder of TheInfiniteGames.org , and quotes from a book written by James Carse - Finite and Infinite Games (also referenced on Bill's site ):

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.

The finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing the play,
...and bringing as many persons as possible into the play.

Finite players play within boundaries;
infinite players play with boundaries."


I just loved the above quote. Definitely need to get a copy of that book, as well as read through Bill's site in much more detail.

Thank you Jay - for continuing to expand my own learning/knowledge, and inspiring me to play with boundaries instead of just within them.

1 Comments:

Blogger jay said...

Jeff, glad to be of service. I, too, want to explore this further. I'll undoubtedly post what I learn at a meeting with Bill in a couple of days.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment



Go Back to This Blog's Home Page