Sunday, August 21, 2005

Vlogging: My 1st VideoBlog Post


I finally decided to try my hand at videoblogging. To view my first videoblog post - you can click here or on the photo to the right. It's a short 42 second Windows Media clip (.wmv file format). This was more of a "proof of concept" experiment for me, and I wanted to understand first-hand how easily it could be done. Below is a description of how the final video was created and then posted.

Video clips (between 10-60 secs each) were shot using a very bare bones point-and-shoot digital camera - a 2 Mega-pixel Olympus D-380 with 8MB's of memory. The camera was set-up to capture video at a low resolution (160 x 120 pixels) mainly to allow for somewhat longer takes.

The Olympus automatically created .mov files. These were converted to .asf file formats using a free endcoder called
SUPER (version 1.791) that I found on Download.com. The clips were then imported into Windows Movie Maker for editing and the addition of an audio track.

The final video was created by exporting it from Windows Movie Maker -- encoding it by using the "Video for broadband (150Kbps)" drop-down option, which produced an 817KB file.


All of the above took maybe about an hour.

I then created an account with the Internet Archive, used OurMedia to upload my video, obtained the URL for this uploaded video file, and also created a "screen capture" of a frame from my video - the photo used in this blog post.

That took another 1/2 hour maximum (including the time it took to learn about using the Internet Archive and OurMedia). So - from start-to-finish, I was able to produce a 42 second video and post it in about one and a half hours. For more info on how to videoblog, check-out: Freevlog.

Still to figure out: how to easily convert the file back to .mov format for playback in QuickTime (using free conversion tools). It seems that SUPER doesn't read the file format produced by Windows Movie Maker.

All life is art direction......

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait...was I just transported to 1981 and the start of MTV? Genius. Particularly the spinning. I kept waiting for JJ Jackson to appear and give me some background on this bold new artist. And the eye shot....woah! Was I detecting an almost John Lennon like widsom in those coke bottles? Methinks yes.

Four stars!!!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment



Go Back to This Blog's Home Page